About Us

History of Cowes Medina Bowling Club

Northwood Park Bowling Green, which is now the home of Cowes Medina Bowling Club, has been used by two bowling clubs. Initially, Cowes Bowling Club was established in 1909, which built up its membership to run Three Men’s Teams and One Ladies Team in the Bowls Isle of Wight leagues. The Club celebrated its centenary in 2009.

In 1975, Cowes Medina Bowling Club, which was previously known as J S Whites, started to share the green at Northwood Park as their green closed down at the site (presently known as the IOW Community Club). The ladies’ team was also formed shortly after this time as a separate section but eventually became a mixed club at the park.

Unfortunately, in 2010, Cowes Bowling Club membership numbers decreased quite substantially, so much so that it folded and players either joined other Clubs on the Island, stopped playing altogether or joined Cowes Medina BC, which continued to use the green at Northwood Park.

The Club is one of the most successful clubs on the Island, having won the Men’s League Division 1 title over thirty times since its existence. Over the years, the Club has provided many County Champions in the Singles, Pairs, Triples and Fours, who have then gone on to do well in the National Finals at Worthing and Leamington Spa. It also supplies many players for the Middleton Cup Teams, despite it being one of the smaller Clubs on the Island.
Cowes Medina Bowling Club is now totally independent and maintains the green and its surrounds and leases the facilities from the Northwood House Charitable Trust.

The Club is still thriving and is keen to bring new players into the game and encourage them to carry on with the successes of past players.